Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday // Fantasy Books

Hello everyone! Sorry for not posting very much lately, but Megan and I have finally discussed it and have come up with a schedule for posting. It will soon be illustrated on the About Us page, so stay tuned!

Today is our first Top-Ten Tuesday (one day late). Basically, Megan and I will alternate weeks writing a top ten post. Today's subject is: Fantasy Books!

I have read a lot of fantasy books and they are by far my favorite genre. Here is a list of my favorite fantasy/fantasy(ish) books and series as of now. Each series is only going to count as a single number.

1 // Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

This one is pretty self-explanatory. I mean, who doesn't love the Harry Potter books? I am currently on my third read-through of the entire series and I still love it as much (or maybe even more) than I did when I read it for the first time when I was eight.

In my eyes, J.K. Rowling is a genius. I love how she is able to foreshadow the happenings of the next book in the one before it. Sometimes something mentioned in book one comes into play in book seven which absolutely blows my mind. She simply worked on coming up with ideas for five years before she wrote the first book. Five Years! Her precisions is what is what I strive for in my writing.

Here are some Harry Potter themed pictures. I am hoping to do a photoshoot soon so more to come (probably in Monday's post):



(The story of how this book turned out to be like this will be in Monday's post...)



(And these two pictures are a hint at what Monday's post will be...stay tuned!)



2 // An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

This book was...I can't even put it in words. I loved this book so much that I sat down in one day and read the whole entire thing. The world was so vivid and imaginative and all of the details were so amazing. I am so excited for book two, A Torch Against the Night, coming out at the end of this month! Every fantasy lover should read this book if they get the chance!

I also was able to meet Sabaa and get my book signed and it was amazing! Sabaa's signature is so cool!


3 // The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

This book doesn't seem to get the best reviews on Goodreads, but I loved this series so much. It was so imaginative and I felt like the world could be real, as it was so detailed and well thought out. It was sprawling with so much detail, not only for one country, but for three! I loved the main character and her struggles, along with the romances that the story has. This series is one of my favorites. 

4 // The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

Okay, I know that this is not traditional fantasy, but the stories are based on fairytales, so it is close enough for me. I love all of the characters in this series, as each one is so well thought out and is unique from the other characters. They each have their own quirks!

I also love how all of the plot twists are based on the classic fairytales, but they are changed to fit a futuristic, sci-fi world. I love how all of the stories mesh together into one sprawling adventure. In addition, everything in the world is so creative and well thought out. I particularly enjoy how each happening has a scientific explanation in their world. 

5 // My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows

Not only did this book utilize (and change) history, but it did so in a very funny and entertaining way. I loved how unique all of the characters were and how basic parts of history were extravagantly explained through magic. It is more of a historical fantasy book than a pure fantasy book, but it is still a wonderful read!

All of the characters are fully fleshed out and I love how funny the book was. The three authors did a wonderful job!




6 // Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I really, really enjoyed this book. It was a fantasy world without traditional magic, but where people were born with Graces. Not all people have, and those that do are not treated the same as those without. This is a sprawling fantasy about a girl named Katsa. I loved how unique the story was and how developed all of the countries were. It was a really good book.

It also was a different read for me because it did not have any magic in it, but the author wrote the story very well! I highly recommend it. I have not yet gotten the chance to read Fire and Bitterblue, but they are high up on my TBR list (the main reason I haven't read them yet is because the bookstore did not have any copies of Fire, so I bought Bitterblue and keep forgetting to order Fire, which you are supposed to read first apparently).


7 // The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

This book was so cool and imaginative that I could not leave it off of this list! I was able to get an ARC of this book, and I have to say that it was a really good read. I love how magic and other fantasy elements are interwoven with history to make a compelling and exciting story. It was a very unique premise, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book! I highly recommend it!

8 // The Siren by Kiera Cass

I love all of the books that Kiera Cass has written, especially her Selection series (which is not on this list because I am considering it more futuristic/dystopian). When I found out that she was writing a new book, I was very excited, and when it came out, I bought it on the first day. It was a really good book. While not quite as good as The Selection, I still really enjoyed it.

I loved all of the characters and how fleshed out they were, along with all of the secrets revealed throughout the course of the book. It it a very unique concept, which I love, and I really enjoyed all of the diversity of its characters. There were girls from all over the world in the book! Overall, it was a very good read and I would recommend it.


9 // Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

This book series was...wow. I have never been one to read angel books, or to glom onto any particular type of book for the matter. But this series was really good and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy books but is looking for something set a little bit more in the real world! I guarantee that you will be rooting for the main character throughout all of her struggles, and that you will really connect with her and her personality. 

10 // The Selection by Kiera Cass

Okay, I couldn't resist. The only reason this book is down at number ten is because it is not a true fantasy books, so you get a list of fantasy with one really-good-but-not-quite-fantasy book tacked on at the end. I think its a pretty good deal. This series was AMAZING! I have read it three times and each time I can literally not put the books down. I just sit all day and read (there's nothing wrong with that, right?). But just read this series. Now. 

And another surprise list!

I decided that I wanted to make a small list at the end of this post of fantasy books and series that I really want to read and are high up on my TBR list. So, here you go!

1 // The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare

2 // The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

3 // The Dark Artifices by Cassandra Clare

4 // The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine

5 // The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead

6 // Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

7 // The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski

8 // The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

9 // Precious Stone Trilogy by Kerstin Gier

10 // The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Okay everyone! That is it for today...you got two lists - one incomplete and one complete! I hope you enjoyed this post, and make sure to check out our About Us page to look at our new posting schedule. Have a great day! 

Are there any fantasy books that you loved so much that you think we should read? Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment